Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for this scholarship:
• Must be a current high school senior who is eligible to attend a two or four year college, university or vocational/technical school.
• Must be a legal U.S. resident.
• Must be less than 21 years of age.
• Must have a minimum 2.7 GPA.
• Must reside within the geographic boundaries of a the Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Southern California.
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is January 18, 2017.
When is the recommendation deadline?
The recommendation deadline is January 25, 2017.
Should I submit all of my information before I request a recommendation?
No. You should request a recommendation as early as possible to ensure there is sufficient time for the recommendation to be submitted by the deadline.
What is the Program timeline?
• Application Opens: October 1, 2016
• Application Deadline: January 18, 2017
• Recommendation Deadline: January 25, 2017
• Scholarship Recipients Notified: No later than June 16, 2017
• Scholarship Checks Issued: Varies by Chapter
What are the selection criteria?
An independent selection committee will evaluate the applications and select the winners. The committee will consider:
• Financial Need (if applicable)
• Community Involvement
• 4-Question Essay Content
• Academic Achievements and Records
What are the details of the award?
• Most local Chapters award a minimum of $1,000.
• The scholarships will be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for course load. Note: Scholarships may not be applied to room and board or taxation may occur.
• Institutions must be accredited, nonprofit two or four year college/universities of vocational/technical schools in the United States.
• A student may transfer from one institution to another and retain the award.
I have several potential school choices. Which one should I list on the application?
You should list your first choice on the application. If you are chosen to receive an award, it will be your responsibility to make certain ISTS is aware of your final school choice so that your check can be issued accordingly.
How do I know if my application is complete?
You may monitor your status of each required form and supporting document on your Home page at https://aim.applyists.net
• Started: The online form is missing information and/or needs you to click the “Submit” button on the last page of the application.
• Submitted: The online form has been submitted, but your application is not yet complete because your documents have not yet been received/processed.
• Not Received: The document has not yet been uploaded or if mailed, the document has not yet been processed by ISTS.
• Processing: You have uploaded your document and ISTS is reviewing and processing your upload.
• Accepted: Your uploaded/mailed document has been processed and reviewed by ISTS and is approved.
• Complete: Your online application is submitted and all required documents have been received, processed, and approved by ISTS. No further action is needed and your application is complete
I uploaded a document that no longer displays on my application. Do I need to submit it again?
Previously uploaded documents that are no longer displayed with a status on the home page have been rejected. The most common reasons for a rejected document are as follows:
• The document uploaded is not one of the accepted file types: .pdf, .tif, .png, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .bmp and .xps.
• The document uploaded was not the document requested.
• Not all pages of the document were contained in the file.