Summary: Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the leadership and integration of volunteers into the Inland Empire Ronald McDonald House. Incumbent coordinates and facilitates the recruitment, training, scheduling, retention, and recognition of volunteers for House Operations and Development and is the first personal point of contact for people who wish to volunteer for the organization. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for achieving what is absolutely critical for the long term sustainability of the Ronald McDonald House: involving volunteers in every part of our mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Volunteer Recruitment and Support
- Develop volunteer training materials and sessions to ensure that new volunteers are welcomed appropriately and receive all relevant information and support to ensure their continued participation.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a volunteer recruitment, retention, and recognition plan.
- Provide orientation and ongoing training and skill development of volunteers to address program needs as they arise.
- Ensure that the work of the volunteers is supported and that volunteer recognition is organized at least annually.
- Coordinate volunteer recruitment in the community at large by maintaining a list of tasks across different work areas and departments, identifying which areas need volunteer work the most critically at any given time.
- Coordinate volunteer recruitment and scheduling to ensure a full complement of volunteers for each shift of operation.
- Coordinate and schedule Meals of Love program ensuring that hosts are properly informed of guidelines and thanked for their participation.
- Coordinate recruitment and supervise volunteers for fundraising events throughout the year.
- Assist in preparation of general mailings throughout the year.
- Coordinate volunteer scheduling by maintaining and updating the master list of shifts as well as a complete list of volunteers with updated contact information.
- Revise and maintain all volunteer forms and training materials.
- Collect and document best practices for volunteer management, partially based on communicating with other non-profits and by research on the topic.
- Responsible for monitoring the Volunteer Voice Mail and responding to telephone inquiries timely.
- Organize recruitment through print and online resources to educate prospective volunteers about different areas of volunteering.
- Represent the Ronald McDonald House at events where we might find useful volunteers from specific backgrounds.
- Report to the Director of Operations on a regular basis regarding volunteer issues and other program concerns.
- Communicate regularly with Department Heads regarding volunteer issues, calling meetings as necessary.
- Other duties as necessary.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Operations
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-5 years of non-profit volunteer management, OR any appropriate combination of education and experience
Knowledge and Skills
- General knowledge and demonstrated experience with office management; knowledge of the organizations and operations of administrative programs; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, and the general public; ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form.
- Volunteers as necessary.
- Position requires proven organizational, communication (both written and oral), creative writing skills, interpersonal skills, and excellent presentation skills. Experience working with a diverse population, an understanding of the needs of our vulnerable clientele; computer skills: proficient in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel, and Word. The individual should be highly motivated, able to work independently and possess strong time management skills.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Strong communication, presentation, and organizational skills are a must. Must be able to multi-task in a fast paced environment, and be willing to work evenings/weekends as necessary.
- Ability to read and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, board members, families, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Proficient in MS Office Applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid CA driver's license and good driving record.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel; talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, must be available to work irregular hours, shifts, weekends, and holidays. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Equal Opportunity Employer