Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Staff Accountant (A/P) is responsible for executing accounts payable functions to properly record and distribute all authorized payments in a timely fashion. In addition, the employee will be responsible for providing analysis of expenditure accounts, reconciliation of related general ledger accounts, annual preparation of 1099 forms, distribution of program allocations, and performing other tasks as required for complete and accurate reporting in a computer-automated environment. The employee will interact directly with all charity program staff and is expected to deliver superior customer service.
Our mission at the Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Southern California (RMHCSC) is to provide comfort, care, and support to children and families in Southern California. To achieve our vision of creating a community where children and their families embrace life and healing with a sense of hope, enthusiasm and joy. RMHCSC operates six Ronald McDonald Houses and two Ronald McDonald Family Rooms, along with Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute accounts payable function – responsible for overseeing the timely payment of vendor invoices and the proper recording of expenses.
- Responsible for preparation or review of all related journal entries and reconciliations to the general ledger on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis (as necessary).
- Interact with outside vendors.
- Responsible for preparing an analysis of vendor and general ledger expenditure accounts, and preparing audit schedules as they pertain to accounts payable.
- Responsible for preparation of 1099s.
- Review and maintain accounts payable procedures.
- Responsible for knowledge of MIP accounts payable functions and current IRS regulations for reporting and disclosure.
- Provide assistance to the charity programs as needed in understanding processes and correct coding.
- Work on additional projects given by the Director of Finance and Administration or other analysis as requested by management
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or comparable work experience required; three years experience in non-profit accounting required.
Knowledge and Skills
- General knowledge and demonstrated experience with accounting procedures; knowledge of appropriate software programs and office systems, i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook; knowledge of Sage MIP a plus; knowledge of office practices and procedures; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with management, staff, volunteers, and the general public; ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff, clients, and the general public. Spanish language skills ideal.
- Proficiency in accounting including ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, or commission.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Microsoft Office Suite, Sage MIP preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop or kneel, talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.