For more than 40 years, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California (RMHCSC) has provided comfort, care and support to families who are caring for a critically sick or injured child. RMHCSC operates six Houses across the region (Orange County, Long Beach, Inland Empire, Los Angeles, Bakersfield, and Pasadena) that collectively offer accommodation at little or no cost to 190 families every night, 365 days a year. The Chapter also operates a year-round, medically-supervised camp for children with cancer and their siblings, Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times.
The primary responsibility of the Family Room and Development Coordinator is to operate and promote the Ronald McDonald Family Room at Ventura County Medical Center. The coordinator is responsible for programs and activities that support families utilizing the Family Room, as well fundraising, budgeting, and community relations. The Family Room and Development Coordinator supports the mission, goals, and objectives of the Ronald McDonald Family Room and RMHCSC, as set forth by the Ventura Leadership Committee and RMHCSC Board of Directors.
The candidate should be organized, outgoing, and personable while demonstrating the ability to meet deadlines and maintain organizational goals. Prior hospital experience is helpful for the role. Excellent verbal, written, and follow-through skills are required. The candidate should show leadership, initiative, creativity, compassion, emotional intelligence, and an ability to work with families with sick/injured children, as well as sound judgment. Success in this position will require a passion for the mission of RMHCSC and the ability to work collaboratively with a variety of volunteer leaders, staff, and partners who support the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following reflects the essential functions for this job, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Duties and responsibilities may be reassigned at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Responsible for the daily operations of the Family Room, including staffing, programsdevelopment, and volunteer recruitment.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with the partner hospital, including regularupdates to key hospital staff regarding Family Room policies and activities.
- Develop and implement strategy to attract, recruit, train, and supervise cadre of culturallycompetent Family Room volunteers to help staff Family Room during hours of operation.
(Hours may start from 9am-6pm but may change in the future to 9am-9pm)
- Development and implement strategy to identify and steward community volunteers to supportservices inside the Family Room that can create a supportive environment for the patient baseserved by the Ventura County Medical Center patient base, 80% of who are monolingual Spanishspeakers.
- Train volunteers to meet Family Room protocols and be well equipped to meet the emotionalneeds of families dealing with a medical crisis with their child.
- Communicate with referral sources (hospital staff) regarding family dynamics, special familyneeds and unique situations. Must understand privacy of families.
- Oversee check-in process for guest families, as well as process for capturing and storingconfidential visitor data.
- Responsible for ensuring the enforcement of the Family Room policies and procedures.
- Enforce all hospital and RMHCSC policies on fire safety, security, and maintenance.
- Fundraising working with teams, sponsorships, and logistical duties for Walk for Kids.
- Major Gift Cultivation and Retention –develop strategies for this fundraising segment.
- May assign other duties and responsibilities, as needed.
Education and Work Experience:
Bachelor’s degree with staff management/social service experience or any appropriate combination of education and work experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above and below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Preferred experience working with volunteers and/or families and children in times of stress.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The candidate should be organized, outgoing, and personable while demonstrating the ability to meet deadlines and maintain organizational goals. Prior hospital experience is helpful for role. Excellent verbal, written, and follow-through skills are required. The candidate should show leadership, initiative, creativity, as well as sound judgment. Success in this position will require a passion for the mission of RMHCSC and the ability to work collaboratively with a variety of volunteer leaders, staff, and partners who support the organization.
Knowledge and Skills:
General knowledge and demonstrated experience with:
- General knowledge and demonstrate experience with facility management; knowledge of theorganizations and operations of administrative programs; ability to establish and maintaineffective relationships with families, employees, hospital administration and the general public.
- Experience or ability to demonstrate skills in navigating the intricacies of the Ventura CountyMedical Center or similar medical systems.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors, partners, and volunteers and build long-term relationships.
- Strategic and analytical thinking, strong capability of project management and problem-solvingskills, sound judgement and a willingness to resolve issues and problems in a timely manner.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently without close oversightand a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority withinand outside the organization.
- Strong public speaking/presentation skills.
- Experience using social/digital communications platforms to engage donors, recruit volunteers,and recognize community stakeholders.
- Execution of all duties in a positive manner.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Volunteers
Ability to read, write and interpret basic business documents and correspondence reports, and procedure manuals in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups, families, employees, managers and the general public in English. Bilingual-Spanish language skills desired.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts including basic math, percentages, discounts and interest.
Ability to function responsibly and autonomously as demonstrated by excellent decision making skills, sound judgment and a high comfort level to exercise authority. Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Well-developed PC skills with in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, In-Design, and Photoshop.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Must have valid California driver’s license and reliable access to vehicle. A current record of immunizations and pass background check required by both hospitals and RMHCSC.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job duties regularly require standing, walking using hands to finger, handle, or feel; reaching with hands and arms; climbing or balancing; stooping, kneeling; talking or hearing. Frequently required to be on feet. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, must have ability to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, holidays, and evenings. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.