Job Title: Operations Associate, Guest Services
Division: Los Angeles Ronald McDonald House
Reports to: Shift Lead; Operations Manager, Guest Services
Supervises: Volunteers on occasion
Status: Part-time, hourly; Non-exempt
The Operations Associate, Guest Services oversees the House during scheduled shifts and is responsible for the safety and operation of the facility. The Associate will maintain a caring environment with guests, volunteers and other staff members. S/he is accountable for stewardship of the mission to provide comfort, care and support to children and families in Southern California. This position is part of a team that works 24/7, year-round to provide high-quality customer service and care to guests staying at the Ronald McDonald House (“RMH” or “House”) and consistent with policies and standards set by the Board of Directors of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position shall include but is not limited to the following:
- Welcome and acknowledge all guests, volunteers, and visitors in a compassionate, supportive and timely manner; anticipate and address guests’ needs.
- Act as the first point of contact and effectively problem solve any issues that may arise during scheduled shift. Partner with Guest Services Lead as needed.
- Provide concierge-level service for guest check-ins, check-outs, orientations, tours, and other guest needs that may arise, following procedures and policies set forth by the House.
- Receive and record all room referrals and guest data according to procedures.
- Communicate policies and procedures gracefully. Report any concerns or issues to Guest Services Lead.
- Partner with the Family Support Services team as needed to best support guest families.
- Communicate with appropriate hospital staff as needed in a professional and friendly manner.
- Document maintenance needs for the Facilities team. Attend to simple guest facility needs if possible (i.e. replacing light bulbs, locating supplies, etc.).
- Document and communicate any significant happenings and ensure subsequent shifts are well-informed.
- Record financial transactions, including deposits, room fees, donations, and merchandise sales.
- Properly supervise volunteers by ensuring that they understand House's commitment to customer service and that they observe standards of conduct, rules, safety regulations, and House policies.
- Inspect, clean, and organize common areas throughout the house.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of emergency procedures and security protocols. Uphold RMH standards of safe guest accommodations and working conditions.
- Operate as House representative with all volunteers and visitors. Provide warm customer service and serve as the host for Meal of Love groups. Communicate guidelines and maintain records of volunteers and visitors.
- Process in-kind donations according to the procedure.
- Attend all applicable training.
- Other duties and responsibilities as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least 1 year of experience in retail, hospitality, or social services settings is required. Experience with family clientele preferred.
- Must be organized, focused, and have a track record of excellent judgment.
- Must demonstrate good customer service skills.
- Must be organized and possess the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Positive attitude, pleasant demeanor, and appropriate dress required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and comfortable using hospitality databases.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours and holidays as necessary.
Ability to read and interpret information in English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, board members, families, and the general public; ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form. Candidates with multi-language skills are encouraged to apply.
Job duties regularly require standing, walking; reaching with hands and arms; climbing or balancing; stooping, kneeling; talking or hearing. Frequently required to be on feet. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, must be willing to work independently and, when necessary, oversee the operations of two buildings alone. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.