The Operations Associate, Janitorial (Housekeeper) is responsible for maintaining a clean, safe and attractive facility. This position supports the Housekeeping Manager and works closely with the Operations team. The Housekeeper will maintain a caring environment with guests, volunteers, and other staff members. S/he is accountable for stewardship of the mission to provide comfort, care, and support to children and families in Southern California. This position is part of a team that works 24/7, year-round to provide high-quality customer service and care to guests staying at the Ronald McDonald House and is consistent with policies and standards set by the Board of Directors of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position shall include but is not limited to the following:
- Perform janitorial/housekeeping services and projects assigned by the Housekeeping Manager. Adhere to scheduled care of guest rooms, common areas, equipment, outdoor spaces, and offices.
- Use eco-friendly cleaning supplies and practices as available.
- Organize storage spaces and supplies.
- Gather and empty trash in compliance with waste management and recycling programs.
- Work closely with the Maintenance team to document and respond to facility issues.
- Provide compassionate customer service to guest families facing health crises.
- Maintain professional boundaries and self-care.
- Complete room turnover with care and attention.
- Care for all facility sheets, pillows, towels, table cloths, and other linens.
- Respond to unexpected messes, issues, and emergencies calmly and timely.
- Communicate regularly with the Guest Services team to ensure guest room needs are addressed.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of emergency procedures and security protocols. Uphold RMHCSC standards of safe guest accommodations and working conditions.
- Monitor property perimeter to ensure doors are closed, entrances are accessible and walkways are clear.
- Complete ServSafe training and adhere to kitchen safety standards.
- Use and store all cleaning detergents and chemicals correctly and in compliance with OSHA.
- Maintain inventory of materials and supplies. Communicate needs to Housekeeping Manager.
- Restock kitchen, bathroom, office, and guest supplies.
- Load/unload, consolidate and move furniture, guest amenities, and supplies.
- Assist in the management of in-kind donations.
Administrative and Program Support
- Act as representative of organization to warmly communicate, problem-solve and manage costs.
- Liaise with third-party vendors and contracted technicians as needed.
- Provide support to the Meal of Love program and volunteer groups as needed.
- Assist in maintaining inventory and organization of janitorial supplies and guest amenities.
- Work with guest database and CMMS software to track and update room status and House needs.
- Respond to telephone and email inquiries within 48 hours.
- Train, supervise, and engage volunteers in cleaning activities and safety protocols.
- Attend all applicable trainings.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested.
- At least 2 years of experience in housekeeping/janitorial work is required.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Valid driver’s license preferred.
- Must be organized, focused, and have a track record of excellent judgment.
- Must demonstrate good customer service skills and a solution-focused attitude.
- Appropriate dress required.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours and holidays as necessary.
Ability to read and interpret information in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, board members, families, and the general public; ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form. Candidates with multi-language skills are encouraged to apply.
Job duties regularly require standing, walking; reaching with hands and arms; climbing or balancing; stooping, kneeling; talking or hearing. Frequently required to be on feet. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, must be willing to work independently and, when necessary, oversee the operations of two buildings alone. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.