Apple Canyon Center is a year-round camp and conference facility in Southern California on 60 acres in the San Jacinto Mountains near Idyllwild. Surrounded by National Forest at 4,500 ft. elevation, the site was originally built in the 1930s. It is presently the home of (and operated by) “Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times,” a camping program which serves children with cancer and their families. The facility has a capacity of 200 and serves not only the Good Times programs but is also open to outside user groups.
To provide cancer patients and their families with a rewarding outdoor experience by:
- developing self-confidence and independence
- developing friendships with others
- developing a spirit of cooperation and group identity
- developing skills and interests
- Provide grounds and pool maintenance, and basic janitorial services for guests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Grounds Maintenance: General landscape maintenance (mow, weed whacking, plant irrigation, pond monitoring).
- Pool Maintenance: Routine skimming and sweeping of the pool, check and document pool sanitation levels, adjust pool chemicals as needed.
- Janitorial Services: Routine cleaning of meeting and sleeping areas (empty trash, sweep, mop, vacuum, and stock bathroom products), respond to
maintenance requests by guests; help set up for program events.
- Availability and willingness to fulfill other tasks as assigned by the Facilities Supervisor.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors and guests.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to job.
- Ability to operate tools and equipment safely.
- Ability to assess appropriate personal behavior.
- Physical ability to work in exposed outdoor environments.
- Physical strength to lift, carry and use tools and supplies up to 25 pounds throughout the work site.
- Mature, capable, mechanically oriented person.
- Basic custodial skills.
- Ability to accept guidance and supervision from and work with others.
- Desire and ability to work in an outdoor camp environment.
- Self-starter and good organizational skills.
- Good character, integrity, adaptability, patience, and self-control.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Willingness and ability to work in a drug-free and tobacco-free environment.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret bills and work proposals. Ability to effectively share information and respond to questions from all Camp
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate basic figures and amounts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel; talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, must be available to work irregular hours, shifts, weekends, holidays. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.