Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times (a.k.a. Camp), a year-round/cost-free recreational camp for children with cancer and their families, is a program of Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Southern California (a.k.a. RMHCSC). RMHCSC is located in Los Angeles near several neighboring hospitals. Our mission is to provide comfort, care, and support to children and families in Southern California. To achieve its vision of creating a community where children and their families embrace life and healing with a sense of hope, enthusiasm, and joy. RMHCSC also operates six Ronald McDonald Houses and two Ronald McDonald Family Rooms.
As a member of Camp’s Development Team, the Development Manager/Director, Special Events and Corporate Relations is responsible for developing and managing events to generate funds for the organization that are cost-effective, innovative and leverage current and new relationships with corporate sponsors. Camp’s 2019 event revenue fundraising goal is $1,000,000 and is largely led and directed by the Development Manager/Director of Special Events and Corporate Relations. Funds in this category are mainly raised through the Walk for kids (gross goal is $370,500) and our Heroes for Healing gala (gross goal is $500,000). The Development Manager/Director, Special Events and Corporate Relations manages Camp’s Development Associate and reports to Camp’s Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Solicit and secure corporate sponsorship for Camp via year-round sponsorship opportunities, social media marketing opportunities, and securing sponsorship for Camp’s two major fundraisers, the Walk for Kids and Heroes for Healing.
- Work closely with Camp’s board of trustees and other major donors to maximize their connections in order to secure sponsorships and major gifts for Camp.
- Oversee the planning and execution of the Walk for Kids, in partnership with the Los Angeles Ronald McDonald House Development Director/team, and Camp’s Heroes for Healing gala, a six-week spirited competition between 10 candidates to raise funds for Camp.
- Manage all activities for fundraising events created by Camp, including generating sponsorships, logistics, budgets, timelines, collaterals, donations, food & beverage, entertainment, volunteers, Public Relations and summary reports.
- Assist in the activities for fundraising events coordinated by outside sources, but benefiting Camp, including events that benefit all programs of Ronald McDonald House Charities Southern California. Responsibilities may vary, but may include logistics, food & beverage, donations, volunteers, database management and summary reports.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Development team, manage the financial growth of all fundraising events through realistic goal-setting and strategic planning.
- Organize and direct event committees to increase volunteer participation and commitment.
- Coordinate and execute board and donor participation in events through, sponsorships, in-kind donations, auction donations, and event participation.
- Maintain and utilize event and donor databases (Raiser’s Edge), keeping all records current and optimizing the use of the events module in Raiser’s Edge.
- Initiates prompt acknowledgment sent to all event participants.
- Work with the event chairs and Volunteer Manager to identify, recruit, train and manage volunteers for a variety of positions to establish and sustain strong special events committees.
- Oversee all logistical aspects of events to ensure that high production value and target revenue projection are met as well as expense goals.
- Attend all event meetings.
- Assist in the coordination of newsletters, collaterals, Website and social media. Generate content and maintain messaging and brand compliance in accordance with the agency’s communication plan and guidelines.
- Attend training activities as needed and provided by in the budget.
- Possess strong presentation skills to effectively communicate with a wide variety of audiences.
- Coordinate logistics for communications and donor outreach/cultivation mailings; including printing materials, assembling mailings list, and mailing materials in a timely manner.
- Work with program staff to fully understand Camp’s mission and programs and speak passionately about Camp’s impact.
- Maintain a positive, energetic and professional demeanor with Camp staff, board members, donors, campers, and volunteers.
- Additional development duties and responsibilities assigned by the Executive Director.
Education and Work Experience:
A bachelor's degree with 5-7 years of events/corporate engagement experience, OR any appropriate combination of education and experience. Experience with walks/marathons is highly desirable. A track record of creative, out-of-the-box revenue generation is also a plus.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Development Associate
Knowledge and Skills:
Enthusiastic, positive and team player attitude.
Ability to work effectively under pressure to deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
Strong communication, presentation, and organizational skills. Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people and personalities. Special events and cause-related marketing experience a plus. Creative, out-of-the-box thinking is critical. Requires excellent attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize competing priorities in a complex environment.
Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and maintain a pleasant and professional demeanor. Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, and occasional weekends, holidays and nights.
General knowledge and demonstrated experience with office management; knowledge of the organization’s operations of administrative programs (knowledge/willingness to work with Raiser’s Edge a plus); ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, and the general public; ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form.
Ability to generate concise and compelling written materials, write reports, solicitation letters, business correspondence, newsletter articles, media releases and other content for events and marketing collateral. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, board members, families, and the general public.
Strong knowledge of Excel; Ability to calculate figures and amounts. Ability to generate and critically analyze event budgets.
Strong proficiency in Windows, and Microsoft Office 2007 (Excel and Word). Experience in Raisers Edge is strongly desirable, or other donor tracking software. Experience working with social media platforms and graphics software is a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel; talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, must be available to work irregular hours, shifts, weekends, holidays. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Equal Opportunity Employer