The Facilities Associate provides support for the House operations through maintenance of the facilities, including providing repairs and support to the buildings and grounds as needed, providing routine maintenance tasks, and working with outside vendors. This position supports the Facilities Manager and works closely with the Operations team. The Associate will maintain a caring environment with guests, volunteers and other staff members. S/he is accountable for stewardship of the mission to provide comfort, care and support to children and families in Southern California. This position is part of a team that works 24/7, year-round to provide high-quality customer service and care to guests staying at the Ronald McDonald House (“RMH” or “House”) and consistent with policies and standards set by the Board of Directors of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position shall include but is not limited to the following:
- Support guest families and staff with facility needs. Primary responsibilities will be guest-related maintenance tickets and projects assigned by the Facilities Manager.
- Work independently and with good judgment to prioritize critical repairs and projects, assess when third-party vendors should be called in, and manage time effectively.
- Respond in a compassionate, supportive and timely manner to all guest needs that may arise. Effectively problem-solve to guarantee guest satisfaction.
- Attend to general facility upkeep and maintenance as assigned. This includes performing repairs, painting, refinishing furniture, assembling and/or moving materials/furniture, installing blinds, and completing enhancement projects. Complete weekly/monthly task list.
- Perform light gardening work as needed.
- Assist in maintaining inventory and organization of supplies and tools.
- Inspect and organize common areas throughout the House.
- Work with front desk staff and janitorial staff to ensure clean facilities. Provide light cleaning duties as needed.
- Act as representative of House to third-party vendors to build relationships, problem-solve and manage costs.
- Supervise volunteer groups as needed to ensure safety procedures are followed.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with a supervisor.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of emergency procedures and security protocols. Uphold RMH standards of safe guest accommodations and working conditions.
- Attend all applicable trainings.
- Other duties and responsibilities as requested.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- At least 2 years of experience in home or commercial repairs/maintenance required.
- Must be organized, focused, and have a track record of excellent judgment.
- Must demonstrate good customer service skills.
- Must be organized and possess the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Positive attitude, pleasant demeanor, and appropriate dress required.
- A current valid California state driver’s license with clean driving record is required.
- Must be willing to work irregular hours and holidays as necessary.
Ability to read and interpret information in English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, board members, families, and the general public; ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form. Candidates with multi-language skills encouraged to apply.
Job duties regularly require standing, walking; reaching with hands and arms; climbing or balancing; stooping, kneeling; talking or hearing. Frequently required to be on feet. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, one must be willing to work independently and, when necessary, overseeing the operations of two buildings alone. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer.