Summary: The Program Staff Position is directly involved in the planning and delivery of the summer programs. Additionally, the position is responsible for orientation, training, and support of volunteers in the delivery of the camp experience.
Location: Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times
56400 Apple Canyon Road
Mountain Center, CA 92561
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the planning and implementation of engaging and fun summer camp activities and living group experiences for the campers.
- Meet Camp outcomes for each participant in the delivery of camp program and activities.
- Maintain or exceeds American Camp Association accreditation standards in the delivery of the program.
- Assist in the design, preparation, and documentation of operation, safety and emergency procedures for camp activities as assigned.
- Meet or exceed previous summer program activity evaluation scores.
- Provide the Program Director mid-season and end-of-the-season recommendations for activity improvements.
- Training and Supervision of activity and cabin counselor volunteers.
- Train and supervise volunteer staff in the management of gender-specific cabin living groups and the execution of educational and recreational activities.
- Provide volunteer orientation and training in roles, responsibilities, program safety and emergency procedures.
- Provide training and supervision to ensure acceptable or excellent performance ratings for volunteer staff as assigned.
- Conduct and document weekly goal setting meetings, performance observations and performance evaluations for each volunteer staff member assigned.
- Maintain Program Safety
- Identify and report potential risks/ hazards related to the operation of the Camp program experience.
- Enforce established safety practices, regulations, emergency procedures and appropriate camper/staff supervision ratios.
- Ensure routine checks of program areas and equipment for safety, cleanliness and good repair.
- Insure first aid equipment is available and in good repair
- Equipment and Supplies
- Oversee use of program equipment and supplies and maintain accurate inventories.
- Instruct and oversee the safe operation and use of equipment and supplies.
- Oversee the cleanliness of program areas and equipment storage.
- Pack and store equipment at the end of each session. Make written recommendations for equipment and supplies for the following season.
- Member of the Program Leadership Team
- Attend leadership meetings with other directors and activity staff
- Assist in the set-up and implementation of evening activities as assigned
Education and Work Experience
- At least 21 years of age
- At least 1 year of outdoor recreation program experience with supervisory duties ideal
- High School Diploma or GED
Knowledge and Skills
- General knowledge and demonstrated experience with program management; knowledge of and experience in the delivery of youth development competencies and strategies
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, volunteers and the general public
- Strong understanding of recreational leadership programs with special needs community.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to work effectively under pressure to deliver results in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, holidays and nights.
- Available to complete all Adventure trainings prior to Summer
- MUST be available to work onsite at Camp from June 1st to the end of August
- Camp volunteers
- Ability to read and interpret general business periodicals and professional journals. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, board members, families and the general public.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Holds or able to hold First Aid / CRP certificates
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk distances on uneven ground in rustic exposed outdoor environment; use hands to finger, handle, pull or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel; talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, must be available to work irregular hours, shifts, weekends, holidays in a rustic outdoor environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.